Turisk is located on the bank of Turia River in the Wollyn district which belonged to Poland before the Second World War and today is part of the Ukraine.
The Russian Encyclopedia first mentioned the Turisk shtetl
in the year 1097, when a group of Jewish families paid the the Prince of Kiev 22 pieces of gold for permission to build houses on the bank of the Turia river.
The rulers were the Princes Vladimir and Vassilka.
In the year 1205, Turisk was occupied by the Lithuanians.
In the year 1515, King Sigismund donated Turisk to Prince
In the year 1759, King Augustus the Third, granted the city
rights to Turisk and the Jewish citizens.
In the year 1765, 874 Jews lived in Turisk.
In the year 1897, over 2,000 Jews were registered in Turisk.
In 1938, the Jewish population of Turisk grew to over 5,500 people.
On the other bank of the Turia was a suburb with a population of about 2000 Ukrainians.
In the 16th century the Jews of Turisk donated another 22
pieces of gold to the Prince of Kiev for permission to build a Synagogue.
In the same century a Catholic church was built in the
center of the Shtetl.
In 1870, a Pravoslavian church was built
in the center of the Shtetl.
On an island in center of the Turia river the ruins of an ancient fortress towered over the shtetl.