The Hassidic Roots of the Turisk Dynasty in Chernobyl
Rabbi Mordechai, known affectionately as, Rabbi Motele, the son of the founder of the Magyd dynasty, Rabbi R. Nachum from Chernobyl brought great development to the dynasty in its golden days. Tens of thousanda of Hassidim from Russia and the Ukraine came in droves to Chernobyl to hear him speak and receive his blessing. This was the beginning of the Tversky family dynasty.
Rabbi Motele had 8 sons. When he died they divided among themselves the areas of Kieve and Wollin. Each one established a Hassidic court. In Turisk, it was Rabbi Avrameleh who became the Magyd of Turisk. Among all the larger cities near Kovel, Ludmir, and Machieb, Turisk, on the shores of the Turia River was chosen as the center.
Quickly the court was established and expanded accordingly over a large area extending from the Turia River to the city and even to the Provoslavic church. Residential buildings were built, a large synagogue, and stables. Rabbi Avraham, the Magyd of Turisk wrote and published his doctrine, "Protector of Abraham."
Rabbi Abraham Tversky- the Magyd of Turisk, 1770-1837
He was inherited by his youngest son who was a prodigy and learned in the Bible. It is said that in his youth he wanted to connect with prophet as he edited the Torah day and night for 1000 days and fasted for many months.
He was called the "Rabbi from Turisk". He married a woman from a well known rabbinical dynasty. Thousands of Hassidim from all over Wollin and the Ukraine came in droves to see him. On his grave a large monument was erected to receive the masses of Hassidim who visited the site.
The tradition among the Hassidim in Turisk is that on the day of his death thousands of Hassidim assembled from all over the country to commemorate his name and the entire town celebrated the event. A religious awakening and additional revenue for the people of Turisk ensued. All of the welfare services for miles around would come to lie on his grave and pray with the Rabbi from Turisk and put notes into a large box in the tent above his grave.
The Magyd's other brothers chose to live and work in other places and establish Turisk courts. Rabbi David Areleh chose to settle in the small town of Zurik. His court flourished due to the Trisker Rabbi from Zurik- the Trisker from Zurik.
The Rabbi Mashali settled in Lublin and established a Hassidic court there. He also gained much respect. In this large market town which was also had "The committee of four countries" was filled with shtibilach of Hassidim many of which were Trisk Hassidim. The court gained much glory in that time.
Rabbi Volvoli relocated to a large town near Kovel and established a court at the large synagogue and droves came to him from all over.
During the First World War the Magyd's court in Turisk was abandoned. It is likely that due to that the court burnt down and after the war was not rebuilt. However, the tradition of visiting the area where the court was on Memorial Day remains with thousands of people making the pilgrimage to his grave every year.
Shtibilac, a small synagogue of Turisk Hassidim was established for hundreds in eastern and western Poland as well as in New York where there are two courts (descendants of the Tversky family). Their activity continues to this day. In Jerusalem as well a shtible was founded. It is said that between the two World Wars 8 courts were active in Poland. Tens of thousands of Hassidic believers! Holocaust survivors also tell of how many remained true to the Rabbis of Turisk even to their deaths.